Monday, February 5, 2007

Coral Gables can sleep in comfort

The mattress trend setters. Two UM business students making there parents, U of M, and Coral Gables proud. (Not your average 20, 21 year old run of the mill kids sitting around waiting for things to happen; they’re making things happen).
Meet Matt Byrd and Chris Nelson (founders of http://www.selectfoam.com/) they are the talk of the town when it comes to delivering high-end, quality mattresses(memory foam mattresses and other fine product lines) and are taking the mattresses right to your door step. Read more….http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/industries/small_business/16032620.htm
Meet: Matt Byrd

1. A little about yourself.
My name is Matt Byrd and I am from the Cleveland Ohio area. I am a junior at U of M and am the co-owner of Select Foam, Inc. (http://www.selectfoam.com/)

2. What would you like to do or become?
I would like to one day take a successful company public, while becoming active in the community and local government.

3. Do you live/work in Coral Gables?
I both live and work in Coral Gables. I live in a house near the UM campus

4. If you had to name the one experience that strengthened your character the most so far, what would it be?
When I was 18 I joined a direct marketing company that made me realize that there were no shortcuts to success, and it also taught me that to get the things you want in life, be it material possessions, relationships, or whatever else, you need to not only do the right things but become the right person.

5. What attracted you to Coral Gables?
I was attracted to Coral Gables for school, the incredible weather, and the amount of activities southern Florida offers.

6. Do you meet interesting people? And if so, who stands out?
I meet interesting people every week. I wouldn’t necessarily say that one person stands out, although I notice that most of the people that I meet are very successful and driven, in addition to having a high level of sophistication (women especially).

7. Is there a special place, hidden or out-of-the-way that is particularly special?
I enjoy spending days on the weekend at the Biltmore, eating and hitting golf balls for relaxation. Like most people I really likeSouth Beach and the Brickell area too.
8. Tell us about your job.

My job consists of all around business development and day to day operations. It has been very rewarding and every day offers something new. Every thing we deal with has the potential to become very big, which is exciting.

9. My favorite thing about the Gables? Least favorite?
My favorite thing about Coral Gables are the historic public buildings and the uniqueness of the city. It isn’t overly commercialized like much of the area. They add a lot to the scenery and feel of the city. I dislike that it is very hard to get around at certain points in the day.

10. What’s your favorite eating place in the Gables?
Houston’s

11. What does success mean to you?
Success to me is being able to end a day happy with the work you have done knowing that you’ve done all that you could; it’s also in knowing that you not only climbed a ladder, but you climbed the right ladder (that you worked hard not just doing something but doing what you know it is you wanted to do.

12. What would you like to see added to the downtown area?
I don’t know, the downtown area has a lot already. I guess it would be nice to have a 24 hour a day restaurant that isn’t fast food.

13. If you could have asked Jesus one question, what would it be?
When (or if) you get to heaven, at what part of your life do you enter (with the mindset of a young child, adult, elderly person)

14. If you had to name the book that most touched your soul, which would you choose?
Magic of thinking big by Shwartz

15. If you had to name the teacher who had the greatest positive influence on your character, who would it be?
Cyndee Guerin, my high school Journalism teacher

16. If you had to describe the moment of your life when you felt the proudest of yourself, what would you say?
Hitting my first home run in baseball and being recognized in the Miami Herald recently.

Meet: Chris Nelson

I grew up in Cleveland Ohio in the suburb of Bay Village. I attended the private Jesuit high school St. Ignatius in downtown Cleveland. I was attracted to the University of Miami because of its excellent business programs, scholarship opportunities, and the area in which it was located. I live on campus but plan on living off-campus next year somewhere within the Coral Gables community. I love Coral Gables due to its diversity, friendly people, but most importantly safe atmosphere. I moved to Florida because of the outstanding business opportunities available. I have found both the students at the University of Miami and the residents of Coral Gables to be extremely supportive of my business venture. I will be graduating with a double major in Finance and Entrepreneurship, as well as a minor in Business Law in the year 2009. I am currently a P-100 of the University (student ambassador) and am a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. Long term plans include attending graduate school at either the University of Miami, Stanford, or Northwestern business schools. Long term career plans include making Select Foam a success, as well as becoming highly involved in e-commerce and other web based businesses.
A brief summary of our article in the paper concerning Select Foam Inc.: Select Foam Inc. (http://www.selectfoam.com/) was started by two entrepreneurs myself and Matt Byrd in February 2006. We are dedicated to offering quality memory foam products at an affordable price, with special interest toward customer satisfaction. We love the area in which our business is located due to the outstanding connections available through the Coral Gables community.
A few answers to some of your specific questions:

What’s your favorite eating place in the Gables?
Tarpon Bend
What does success mean to you?

Success means meeting ones goals set for themselves.
What would you like to do or become?
I would like to become a corporate lawyer or a successful entrepreneur.

If you had to name the book that most touched your soul, which would you choose?
Pat Conroy, Lords of Discipline

If you had to name the one experience that strengthened your character the most so far, what would it be?
In the spring of 2004 my home in Cleveland caught fire. We had to live in temporary housing for 6 months. The event made me realize that family is the number one priority in my life, and that life is not to be taken for granted.

If you had to name the teacher who had the greatest positive influence on your character, who would it be?
Father Ober S.J. Father Ober taught me that knowledge is a precious commodity, and happiness means completely different things for various people. He also taught me that in some way, every man you meet is your superior in some facet.

(Full disclosure-I am not a customer or client, (at this time) nor am I getting paid in any way for this promo. I will support any Coral Gables business entity as long as it’s reputable and professional, and besides, anybody that’s trying to “ make it” while putting in a full days’ honest work has my support.)

No comments: